Skip to content
Gas Saving Tricks!
Every little thing helps with gas prices as high as they are these days, so here are some tips to help save some fuel!
1. Avoid idle time. If you’re going to be waiting more than a minute or two, shut the engine off. When you’re idling your engine, you’re getting zero miles per gallon.
2. Don’t “warm up” or “cool off” your vehicle. Yes, it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter – but letting your vehicle run for 5-10 minutes before driving is a complete waste of gasoline. Again, you’re getting zero miles per gallon if the engine’s idling.
3. Don’t put the pedal to the metal. Sudden stops and quick accelerations use a lot more gas than gradual speed changes.
4. Don’t speed. Yes, it’s tough to drive slower, but consider this: multiple studies have shown that increasing your speed from 55mph to 65mph reduces your fuel efficiency by up to 15%.
5. Use cruise control. Driving at a constant speed optimizes your miles per gallon – even small fluctuations in speed can reduce your fuel efficiency.
6. Check your oil. Regular oil checks can boost your fuel efficiency – when your oil level is low, your engine has to work harder.
7. Check your tire pressure. Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended pressure. Over or under-inflated tires will make your engine work harder.